Thursday 3 September 2009

Festivals and Logistics

It has been an interesting first couple of days in Nepal. I have been meeting with my trekking agency and reviewing the options - an early start for the Khumbu seems most likely. This would be to start from Jiri and slowly gain altitude. Go to Goyko lakes and then cross the pass and go to Gorak Shep. This will allow me to see the classic Khumbu vistas and a lot more besides.

Yesterday was hectic. I also visited with Ganesh Photographic who will develop my negatives. Kiran Man Chitraker showed me some of his family photographs that date back 100 years. Beautiful large prints of the Royal family and even a shot of Tenzing and Hillary when they returned from the successful first ascent.

Yesterday was the opening day of the main festival here. It coincided with the first public viewing of the new Kumari. The 4 year old living godess. Durbar sq was a heaving frenzied mass. The full panorama of people and govt and diplomatic hoy poloy was in full vociferous view.

In the evening went to the Yin and Yang with Rob Casserly and Helen Sovdat who leave for Manasulu today.

No comments:

Post a Comment